About this book
The fifth edition of this leading text on political ideologies provides a clear and accessible introduction to the political creeds and doctrines that have dominated and shaped world politics.
Ranging from traditional nineteenth-century ideologues such as liberalism, conservatism and socialism, to so-called 'new' ideologies such as feminism, ecologism and political Islam, the author offers a clear exposition both of the historical development of each ideology and the impact each has had on contemporary political movements, parties and governments. Their distinctive ideas and values are highlighted, together with the competing, and sometimes conflicting, traditions which they have generated.
This new edition has been thoroughly revised and updated throughout, with extended coverage given to key current issues such as multiculturalism and neo-conservatism. Andrew Heywood's uniquely student-friendly writing style is now supported by a range of learning features in each chapter.
• Ideology Previews outline the nature of the ideologies and their central themes
• On-page definitions give quick-reference explanations of key terms
• Illustrated 'Key Figure' Profiles provide detail on important thinkers and their major ideas
• 'Key Concept' boxes explore and unpack important ideas
• Boxes on 'Perspectives' and 'Tensions' outline the differences within and between ideological traditions
• Questions help to apply and reinforce understanding
Table of Contents
- Political Ideologies
- Macmillan Education UK
- Print ISBN
- Electronic ISBN
- Copyright Year